From:
Andy Rindsberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 11:29:21 -0500
>    5. frinstance: The Cincinnati Museum has a collection of 135,000
shells---all in storage---none on display.

Art,

I remember the Cincinnati Museum of Natural History's shell display from
days of old (late 50s and early 60s). It was one of my formative
inspirations -- I still remember marveling at the Thatcheria mirabilis
before being hustled off by my parents to the cave exhibit (which was
excellent, though not as good as the Anniston Museum's!). But the shells on
display, though numerous, could hardly have been even one percent of the
total held by the museum even then. Also, displaying shells exposes them to
light and shaking, which may damage them. One has to strike a balance. I
suppose you've often volunteered to help design a shell exhibit and have
been turned down.

How many visitors use this shell collection each year, do you have any idea?

Also, does the museum have close ties with local societies that promote
natural history, such as shell clubs, orienteering societies, entomological
clubs, and so on?

Cheers,
Andy

Andrew K. Rindsberg