From:
John Jacobs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 08:02:18 -0400
Aloha,
While Hawai'i has enacted over the years various collecting bans in small
areas, this has applied only to living species (not just molluscs).  Signs
are usually posted at the site affected and for how long the ban is in
effect.  Dead/beach shells are not affected, accept in the case of the
Achatinella tree snails (the entire family is protected from collecting
including the dead shells).
Don't be too concerned about one person who may not have any reason for
telling you this accept for personal reasons.  If it happens again, ask this
person where the sign is posted, or where they got their information from.

John
John & Cheryl Jacobs
Seffner, Florida