From:
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 07:57:42 -0600
Andrew,

Not following this one!  The embedded prismatic cells in the shell are
created by the mantle of the animal.  Yes, I realize they are structurally
different than the soft parts pigments, but if the animal cannot secrete
melanin say, than this should be lacking in both shell and soft parts.
Different process but same origin, what am I missing?

Tom Eichhorst (writing this before my first cup of coffee - dedicated...)