From:
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 10:29:09 -0600
Kurt,

Yes, a great two cents!  A nice complication to the habitat choice of Vitta
usnea.  This is the first I have read of an observation of the link between
Vitta usnea habitat, and river topography and the availability of limestone.
But it makes sense and will make a nice quote for the write up for that
species.  Thanks.

In fact, the occurrence of the European nerite Theodoxus fluviatilis (a
species with a proven ability to successfully inhabit areas of a wide range
of salinity from pure freshwater to a salinity of up to 17%) in the U.K. has
much more to do with Ph and the availability of limestone, than salinity or
temperature.  This species requires hard water (20-30 Mg of calcium per
liter) and this seems to be the limiting factor for its lack of appearance
in certain areas.  It is absent from both the Cromwell and Devon areas in
England, areas with soft water (Fretter & Graham, 1978) and its presence in
Ireland almost matches perfectly that country's distribution of
carboniferous limestone (Lucey, et al., 1991).

So our very common Vitta usnea has this really wonderful and complex
ecology!

Tom Eichhorst