From:
Andy Rindsberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 08:05:35 -0500
Well, Art, as usual I have no identification for you, but instead a related
subject.

Many Conchlers live in Florida or elsewhere in the southeastern United
States. I recently visited the Day Butterfly Center at Callaway Gardens near
Columbus, Georgia. It's also near Warm Springs, where Franklin Roosevelt had
his "Little White House." Anyway, for nature lovers, I highly recommend a
visit to the Gardens, and especially to the Butterfly Center, where
thousands of butterflies of 30 or 40 species are cultivated in a tropical
conservatory. And, don't forget to bring your camera.

http://www.callawaygardens.com/tosee/dbc/dbc.htm

It's one of the best places I've ever visited. However, I should note that
it is VERY HOT inside the conservatory during the summer!

Shell-related note: Dead bivalves whose shells are attached but outspread
are called "butterflied." They are uncommon in the geologic record, because
they require a little transport to become butterflied, but too much
transport tends to disarticulate the valves.

Andrew K. Rindsberg
Geological Survey of Alabama