From:
Dan Yoshimoto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 23:26:02 -0700
>Over the past few weeks, many opinions concerning the participation of Ed
>Paul in the 1998 COA Bourse have been expressed on Conch-L, mostly from
>dealers.  As President of COA, I sincerely appreciate all of these opinions
>as they reflect what members in COA are thinking about.  As I have said on
>many occasions in the American Conchologist and in the COA general
>sessions, the over-all good of the organization always takes precedence
>over any personal desires, goals or objects.
>
>During the past two weeks, I have personally talked to many dealers,
>several COA officers, and other COA members concerning this issue.  It is a
>very emotional issue with the dealers, as this effects their profits at
>this prestigious event.  For that reason, I have intentionally taken my
>time in delivering a statement as to my decision on this issue.  I needed
>the time to consult with as many individuals as possible to evaluate the
>impact of my decision on COA.  I simply wasn't going to make a quick,
>reactionary decision.
>
>As COA President, I am charged with the responsibility of ensuring that the
>COA Constitution and By-Laws are not violated.  Several years ago, the COA
>Board developed a set of "Guidelines On Conducting A COA Convention".  They
>are exactly that, "Guidelines," nothing more.  They are not a part of the
>Constitution or By-Laws.  These "Guidelines" have never been presented to
>the general membership for vote.  Although the "Guidelines" are intended to
>help a COA Convention Chairman make decisions, they also give the Chairman
>the right to make changes or to make interpretations which he/she feel
>appropriate and in the best interest of COA.
>
>I am sure almost everyone who is a shell collector or a conchologist knew
>Leonard Hill.  His untimely passing took the shell world by complete
>surprise.  We were all shocked to hear the news of his death.  Len devoted
>his life to the love of shells, both as a dealer, a collector, and an
>author.  Len always supported COA in any way he could.  Under the COA
>Constitution and By-Laws, a membership is good for the calendar year.
>There is no declaration in these official documents that one's membership
>terminates upon death.  As such, Leonard C. Hill is a COA member until
>December 31, 1998, regardless if he is deceased.  Officially, Len is a
>member in good standing.
>
>Ed Paul was a close friend of Len over the years, and is now the executor
>of Len's estate.  Ed Paul has asked permission to participate in the 1998
>COA bourse under Len's business name, Global Shells.  He is not utilizing
>his name.  His participation is under "Global Shells".  As I have been told
>on several occasions, Ed is going to sell Len's collection and his business
>stock at this year's convention to clear certain debts of the estate.  Len
>had willed certain aspects of his collection to public institutions but
> [...]

Dave,
As a member of COA and a Conch-ler I have watched this polemic for the last
few weeks.  First one side then the other.  I can appreciate the pain that
has been caused to you to have to make a decision on a question as
difficult as this.  You had to "split the child in two" to come to your
decision.  I don't know what I would have done but I congratulate you on
being decisive and not wavering.  It shows the true sign of a leader.
        I just finished watching "Odysseus" and found your letter.  It
shows me that there still are leaders like him.  I may take flack for this
but I guess that's life.  Keep up the strenth and the courage to take on
the big questions.
        Dan Yoshimoto

Dan & Hiromi Yoshimoto
1164 Vista Dr.