From:
"J.F.A." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Oct 2004 21:02:53 -0700
Hello all:

I have some questions about Miomelon and related Volutid species, maybe somebody can help me:

Concerning Miomelon philippiana Dall from 1200+ m depth off Chile, which are the features shown in a mature specimen?, I read that Dall described that species on a juvenile (36 mm) shell. I have seen many times species like Miomelon alarconi labeled as “philippiana” even with the alarconi characteristics (darker colour, more pronounced ribs and bigger size), but never a real Miomelon philippiana as the Dall holotype.

I have obtained specimens of Miomelon in sizes from about 47 till 81 mm from relatively deep water (250-520 m depth), I think they all are alarconi but I have some doubts with the big specimens as some of them are elongate, with no ribs at all and lighter in colour, also I have specimens wider and heavier with a less high spire and dark brown colour which agrees with the original description of Stuardo y Valdovinos.

Then, does anybody knows a easy way to difference between a Miomelon philippiana and alarconi? I have a specimen with the animal inside, but unfortunately dried. May it serve for identification purposes?

Well, thanks in advance,

Juan Francisco.

eMail=enigmaMail -> en service från enigma.se