From:
Monsecourbrothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:23:11 +0200
Hello all there,

I was reading the Angaria mails with great interest as we described the last
three Angaria added to this family. I completely disagree with the theory
that there only are 3 valid Angaria species. I agree with Roland that there
is no problem of identifiing a poppei or sphaerula, the same with vidani, I
have many of both species in my personal collection, and seen many more, but
never saw a form in between or never had a problem to ID one. Same with
poppei, show me an intermediate! Interesting is also to compare juveniles
from the species, than you will see that they are completely different.

According to me the following are valid without any discussion: delphinus,
sphaerula, vicdani, poppei, tyria, javanica, formosa, rugosa, nodosa,
melanacantha.
Note that I place formosa as a valid species and not a subspecies of
delphinus. They both live sympatric and there are enough conchological
differences between the two. Formosa is very common and also occurs from
Japan to Australia (more or less the same than delphinus). They both are
very varaible but I don't know intermediates. Maybe neglecta is the Japanese
formosa, and maybe lilianae (described by me and my brother) is a Thai
formosa, but both are different, not only in color but also in shell shape.
it is true that lilianae is a rare species (or form??) and is seldom seen or
offered, but this doesn't make it invalid.

To the one's with problems th ID an Angaria: turn your Angaria over and look
at the (spine) cords on the body, not at the big spines only!

I have most of the species with animal, but not the money or knowledge to
study the animal.

best regards,

Kevin