Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 08:58:04 +0200
Sharing the same habitat within the same geographical range; different
species or to phenotypic variants within a species.
http://www.fishbase.org/Glossary/Glossary.cfm?TermEnglish=syntopic

explanation can be more meaningful for practises of zoology.

'top' recalls an ecological belt, or ecologically unifying element to me, so
the difference must be like::

If two species is found in (/about) the beaches of Vancouver island than
they are sympatric, while they are found in the infralittoral zone or deep
within beach sand together than they are syntopic