From:
FISHERSCAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 22:55:15 EST
Hello all,

I am once again unlurking for just a moment.

I felt a need to voice an opinion on the value of shell collections and shell
sales persons.  Unlike many of you, I do not have much oportunity to travel
and do my own shell collecting.  I do not scuba dive and only recently tried
snorkeling.  Consequently, 99% of the shells I have, were purchased or given
to me.  I have bought shells at shell shops, gift shops, at auction and over
the net.  I have not been unsatisfied with any of my purchases.  It is always
better when I can see and touch what I am buying, but sometimes you have to
take a chance.  I can only say I have been pleased with all of the shell sales
people I have bought from.  One store that I try to visit yearly hires the
local youth to work part time, and it is really great to talk with them and
hear them speak knowingly about a particular shell.

As to value, mine are priceless, for I know I may not be able to find a
replacement for any one of them.  To me shells are unique, one of a kind gifts
from God, and I treasure them all.  I don't study them for scientific data or
anything like that.  I study them and marvel at their complexity and beauty.
My collection probably would not be of much use to the scientific purist, but
I treasure them anyway.  I think it's important to recognize that people,
being the humans that we are, have many different reasons for what they do,
but not any one reason is better than another.

Ok, back to stealth lurking.

Cathie