From:
ross mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 01:20:55 -0400
Thanks a lot to all who have replied on this topic - i've learned a
lot!    That said, the question regarding exactly what changes the
invasion of New England by this prolific and fairly selective herbivore
has caused, with regards to inter and sub-tidal ecosystems?  The
suggestion has been made that they denuded much of the rockier parts of
the coastline has been made, but this seems illogical to me, since there
are plenty of habitats which have good densities of L. littorea, AND a
reasonable covering of algae at the same time.  Are there any localities
where we have good "before" and "after" descriptions of habitats invaded
by this species?

From wet and windy old New Scotland,
Ross Mayhew.