From:
Peter Froehlich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jul 1998 19:23:47 -0400
I live in Maine and I have a fairly clear idea of what species I will find
when I visit the local seashore to explore tidepools. What I would like to
know is what are the common species at other locations?

Here is my list of  the common shell species that you would find in a
tidepool in Mid-coast Maine.
Mytilus edulis - blue mussel
Modiolus capax - Horse mussel
Notoacmea testudinalis - Atlantic plate limpet
Littorina littorina - Common European Periwinkle
Littorina obtusata  - Northern Yellow Periwinkle
Crepidula plana - Eastern white slipper shell
Nucella lapillus - Atlantic Dogwinkle
If I visit a tidepool in Oregon what will I find? What about England? What
about a coral reef in the caribbean or Australia?  What about a sand beach
in Florida? or Hawaii?

Please just pick your favorite biome and give us a list of the shells most
commonly found there. If you can please include both latin and common names
for those of use who are still beginners at this.