Date:
Sun, 26 Dec 2004 17:41:08 -0500
ABSOLUTELY delighted to have a note from you. In discussing the quake and waves with Ginny (designated wife) she said, " I hope that nice Rice person is OK." Did the earthquake affect your town? Take care. And stay on high ground.
    Art

> From: Tom Rice <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: 2004/12/26 Sun AM 10:47:15 EST
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Thai Tidal Wave
>
> Having finally got signed up again to Conch-L my first posting has to do with
> this mornings tidal wave(s) that struck many areas of the Indian Ocean. The
> westside beaches on Phuket (where most of the beachside tourist are located)
> was hardest hit here as they are directly in the path from Sumatra. Hotels
> along that side have been evacuated. Here in Rawai Beach, on the southeast
> side, we had water into the yard and some small debris, the street beteen my
> home and the beach is littered with tires, garbage, sand and upturned
> motorbikes left along the curb this morning by fishermen. The many longtail
> boats that usually line the shore here have been either sunk or thrown high on
> the beach. The hardest hit area here is th sea gypsy village. We have not
> been able to travel around to see much as yet, the roads were blocked off
> quickly by local police. I took some photos which we will post soon on our web
> site: www.ofseaandshore.com then go to "News" page.
>
> I had intended my first posting to be sort of a re-introduction, but that wil wait
> as I felt this news came first.
>
> There was no damage to any of the specimen shell shops here in the Rawai
> area and the Phuket Seashell Museum was undamaged as it sits well away
> from the beach and at a higher elevation. Several seaside souvenir/shellcraft
> shops were extensively damaged.
>
> Regards to all.
>
> Tom Rice
> Rawai Beach, Thailand

> click leave the list.

PLEASE NOTE: My new, long-term, and correct email address is: [log in to unmask] Please update your records!