From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 23:41:25 +1300
>The heavy shells are tough to get.  I doubt they are actually uncommon, just
>not on the market due to location.  The question of consistency is why I
>have not written an article as yet.  I have only a single specimen of the
>heavy South China Sea type and would like to examine a couple more before
>offering up the question as to the status of the two.  The heavy shell is
>quite obviously T. martinii - or at least, it is more that species than any
>other Tibia species.  It would seem they are at least subspecies as I have
>not heard of the heavy form coming from the Philippines where the light form
>is common.  It would now be nice to know if anyone has a thin, light T.
>martini from north of the Philippines.
>
>Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico (with my new (blisteringly fast) computer that
>should be paid off not too long after it is outmoded and out of date).

For information, I have in front of me a nice fragile specimen
w/operc from Calituban I, Bohol Prov, PI. Collected by scuba diver,
so obviously very shallow water (deep water being over 150m,
outer-shelf or shelf-edge).

It has 6 labral denticles; the brownish-mauve suffusion is restricted
to the spire and becomes irregular on the penultimate whorl,
disappearing before the bodywhorl. Upper whorls are white, with hint
of a faint narrow suffused shoulderr band.There is a narrow white
subsutural band which is indistinct only on the ventral side of the
bodywhorl, where the rest of the surface is pale cream and gives
little contrast.

I can read through the shell wall; text shows through clearly within
11mm of the labral edge., and unfortunately the cotton wad holding
the operc, as well as the operc itself and a bit of hair caught in
the cotton (must remove this!), is clearly visible through the shell!

There is an 8mm ovate mark on the spire where a capulid or crepidulid
was attached, with footsole mark.
--
Andrew Grebneff
Dunedin