From:
ross mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2005 03:28:28 -0400
Kevin Czaja wrote,
> My friend Brian Cassie and I are trying to put together an exhaustive
list
of all the mollusks that have ever made it to a beach between SW Long
Island, New York and Eastport, Maine.  We are up to over 170 species so
far
primarily based on our own experiences and what literature we could
track
down on the NY-New England area.

Why restrict yourself to "beaches", and why not include the Gulf of
Maine as a whole?  I could compile a decent list of what is found in the
Gulf of Maine from my Placopecten trawling days, and a study the Ecology
Action Center in HAlifax did.  Seems quite arbitrary to cut off your
list at at the border, which doesn't mark any natural barrier at all,
and to stay on the shore instead of going out to the edge of the shelf.

FRom the melting white North,
Ross.