From:
"José H. Leal" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 14:02:32 -0500
Linda,

The field trip is entirely within State Park boundaries, no live
collecting. A fishing permit would not be of any help, unless you plan to
collect a few species of commercial interest outside of the boundaries of
the park. I led a similar trip to Cayo Costa last August 4 (9 days before
Hurricane Charley) during the American Malacological Society annual
meeting. Everyone seemed to have enjoyed, and there was plenty in the way
of recently dead bivalves and gastropods, particularly in an enclosed,
clear-water lagoon that is easily accessible from the beach (three
different species of tellins with paired valves, lightning whelks, mud
snails, etc.). The trip itself is worth the effort and the money, with
plenty of sightseeing and fun aboard the Captiva Cruises boat, and nature
watching on the park itself.

Please contact me if you have any further questions about the trip, and
make sure you check the site
http://www.floridastateparks.org/cayocosta/default.asp for more information
on the site.

Cheers,

José

At 09:10 PM 02/14/05 +0000, you wrote:
>Hello, Everyone!
>
>Question:  Cayo Costa is a "no live collecting" area, isn't it (partially
>a state park and in Lee County anyway), so we don't need a fishing license
>to collect on this trip?
>
>Thanks,
>Linda

>[log in to unmask] - a forum for informal discussions on molluscs
>To leave this list, click on the following web link:
>http://listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=conch-l&A=1
>Type your email address and name in the appropriate box and
>click leave the list.

José H. Leal, Ph.D., Director
The Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum
Editor, The Nautilus