From:
ronald noseworthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 09:11:49 -0800
Hi, Everyone!

I thought that this might be of interest to
some list members who are interested in
mollusc survival in adverse conditions.

Tonight I opened a bag of what I had though
to be sand only from a beach on Cheju Island.
 A good friend of mine who has a knack for
finding interesting material from the many
beaches here had collected the sand on
February 22.  To my surprise, when I opened
the bag, I found in the damp sand several
specimens of Litttorina brevicula which had
been live taken. (The smell told me that!)
However, one of the specimens was still alive
and began to emerge from the shell.

More than three weeks have passed since this
specimen was collected and placed in the bag,
completely covered in sand.  Also, Ziplock
bags are supposed to be airtight and my
friend had ensured that this bag was
well-sealed.  It is rather surprising that
this specimen survived for so long in those
adverse conditions, even though its
companions expired.

Are there any other stories out there about
molluscs that were collected and somehow
managed to survive for a long time, or in
adverse conditions, before being attended to?

All the best!
Ron Noseworthy