From:
Andy Rindsberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2005 11:36:37 -0500
Q Man,

I don't know about molluscan infections, but they do recover from shell
breaks made by unsuccessful attacks by predators such as crabs. You can see
the evidence of healing in the growthlines. Also, scallops and oysters can
host polydorid polychaete worms inside the shell, causing "mud blisters"
(flattish, partly mud-filled cysts within the interior of the shell). And of
course, epifaunal mollusks are commonly colonized by algae, sponges,
hydroids, polychaetes, etc. on and within the shell.

So, eliminating all these other possibilities, what about mollusk-hosted
viruses, bacteria, fungi, etc.?

Cheers,
Andy

Andrew K. Rindsberg