Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 14:17:40 +0200
According to the RKK, the type localities are :

C. milneedwardsi Jousseaume, 1894 : "Aden"
C. clytospira Melvill and Standen, 1899 : "Arabian Sea, about 125 miles WSW
of Bombay (...)".

In "Rare Shells", S. Peter Dance wrote that C. clytospira had been found
"adhering to a sub-marine cable (...), the cable having lain undisturbed for
years at a depth of 45 fathoms"

As I know, the only differences between the two subspecies are, as Lyle
says, the more pinkinsh coloration and the more prominent banding of C. m.
clytospira.

But C. m. milneedwardsi is not larger than C. m. clytospira. Both can reach
more than 170 mm.

Another thing : in the RKK, the holotype of C. milneedwardsi is supposed to
measure "46x14 mm". So the description concerns a juvenile specimen ?

Bruno
www.zonatus.com