From:
"Monfils, Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jun 2005 12:59:27 -0400
The only purpose of subspecific names is to differentiate between two
morphological forms. If there is only one morphological form involved, there
is no need for a subspecific designation.

It's sort of like - if there is only one man named Johnson in the company,
you can refer to him simply as "Johnson" and everyone knows exactly who you
are talking about.  But if there are two men named Johnson, then you must
say "Bob Johnson" or "Pete Johnson" when referring to either one of them.
:-)