From:
John Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Aug 2005 12:34:56 -0400
Is anyone aware of any DNA "fingerprinting" studies performed on Conus
species? I have searched the web and found nothing. I would be very
interested to see the percent match of genomic data between conchologicaly
similar and dissimilar species. This type of data might settle certain
arguments between lumpers and splitters.

While collecting in the Hermit Islands of PNG in 2004, we found Conus
marmoreous, bandanus and bandanus nigrescens, all living in the same area
and depth. We have a large series of specimens that shows a gradual inter-
grading of shell color and pattern from a classic marmoreous to a very
dark bandanus nigrescens. Visually, I could see no differences in the
appearance of the living animals. I will say that the average size of
shells identified as marmoreous was larger than bandanus, bandanus were
found with a much greater incidence of shell damage (scars, severe growth
lines,)and bandanus were usually found better hidden or buried in the day
time compared with marmoreous. Still, the shared habitat and the inter-
grading specimens make me wonder about the species distinction.

John Flynn