From:
"Harry G. Lee, MD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 22:10:13 -0400
Dear Marlo,

Dall illustrated the shell (copied by Abbott, 1974 [fig. 3671]  and Vokes
and Vokes, 1984 [pl. 31 fig. 2]).  I don't think anything approaching this
taxon occurs in Florida's shallow waters.  I cannot image why Lyons applied
this name to his Hutchinson Is. form.  See P.S.

Harry

P.S.  Turbonilla (Chemnitzia) hemphilli  Bush, 1899  Hemphill's Turbonille
[5]  11 mm.
Ex seastar (Astropecten articulatus), trawled, 30-60 ft., off Big Talbot Is.
WS! 1965-75. (HL).
Ex batfish, trawled, 140 ft., 55 mi. E. Ponte Vedra. Scallop boat! 3/88. (HL).
This is T. (C.) curta Dall, 1889 of Lyons (1989) [vidi] from St. Lucie Co.
However, Dall's description and type illustration depict a rapidly-expanding
unshouldered shell with crowded axials - quite different from our shell and
that of Lyons.  Our shells are white, lack spiral striae except for
occasional poorly developed, slightly oblique, spiral lines (? cords)
limited to the body whorl (40 X), and are quite consistent with Bush's
description.  Abbott (1974) illustrated this species properly but mistakenly
placed it in Strioturbonilla and described it as "buff to pale brown...
spirally striate," which appears to follow Perry (1940), who was apparently
dealing with T. (C.) species G (q. v.).  Wise (1996) revealed
ultramicroscopic spiral striae (scanning electronmicrography) on a shell he
correctly identified as T. hemphilli Bush.   Interestingly, the somewhat
related T. (C.) dalli Bush, 1899 was not found in our waters although
collected in NC (HL) and abundantly  in W. Florida (HL).  Wise (1996) places
T. abrupta (q. v.)  and T. unilirata (q. v.) in junior synonymy; based on
conchological assessment, we do not agree with this action.  Also Brevard,
St. Lucie, Palm Beach, and Dade Cos. (HL).  Range extension vs. Abbott
(1974): "West coast of Florida."

At 09:03 PM 8/6/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Does anyone out there actually have any T. curta that conform to Dall's
>description?  "Stout (8.3 mm), nine or ten rather inflated whorls, about
>25 close-set ribs."  Particularly interested in a live collected
>specimen from Florida.
>
>Would be happy to trade, purchase or borrow.  Or, would be happy to hear
>about anyone who's collected them in Florida, where and time of year.
>
>Marlo (Merritt Island, FL)

Harry G. Lee
mailto:[log in to unmask]
Suite 500, 1801 Barrs Street
Jacksonville, FL  32204
U. S. A.    904-384-6419
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/wfrank/jacksonv.htm