From:
"Renka, Russell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 2005 08:49:32 -0600
Jim and All:  Take Jim's suggestion to have a group of collectors rate
shells, in hope that it produces consensus.  I bet that it will, and
there is analogous experience among other collectors to back that.  So
why not have COA rating events to see if this works out in practice?  Do
it with some knowledgeable referees who establish a baseline rating,
following by "blind voting" on the grade from the audience.  It could be
done simultaneously with F+ through G, and with 1 through 10.  Then see
what an F++ "is" numerically, and what an 8 is in F and plusses.  And
post these results with good photographs and the on-site vote results.
Then one can also turn loose the website onlookers to vote.  Since eBay
and auctions are increasingly important, it could become a schooling on
how to read ratings from shell pic's.  Valuable.

Russell Renka

Russell D. Renka
Professor of Political Science
Mail Stop 2920, Carnahan 211-L