From:
Richard Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jan 2006 17:54:56 -0500
...or the artist formerly known as Prince!  Here's a case
where someone with 12 albums of published music as "Prince"
decides to change his name, for a decade, to an
unpronounceable symbol. There was no precedent for this --
music database compilers, radio stations and fans did not know
how to deal with this change.  His name sometimes appears
"TAFKAP" (the artist formerly known as Prince) or "The
Artist," or just "Prince."  The album reflects his name as the
symbol.  500 years from now maybe musicologists will only know
the connection between Prince and TAFKAP.  This is a radical
example.

It would seem to me that if a person name Cynthia DeMilo
publishes her name in scientific paper that describes a new
species (hypothetically speaking) Pecten valvus, who formerly
published 15 other species using her maiden name Cynthia Leto,
then the author for Pecten valvus would still have to be
DeMilo, irrespective of how she previously published her name.
 DeMilo was the authors name published for Pecten valvus.

If Hillary runs for President and submits her name to the
election committee as Hillary Rodam as opposed to Hillary
Clinton, or Hillary Rodam-Clinton, then I would think the
candidate's name has to be Rodham.  Let's not get into why she
would do such a thing.  This is all hypothetical.

Politics and the Arts aside, what scientific regulation states
that a person must use the name that they described their
first species for the remainder of their career?  Are there
biological publishing regulations that prevent a person from
legally changing their name mid career?  Which, of course, is
Scott's original question.  I can't imagine?

Rich Goldberg
www.worldwideconchology.com