From:
Andy Rindsberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 09:14:03 -0600
Dear Vicky, Paul, Masashi, Shea, Richard, Brian, Wayne, and Paul,

Thank you for your stories! I'm particularly intrigued by the thread "taking
a life of its own" in Japan and Easter Island, and have a question about
Easter Island shells.

I read (in Paul Bahn and John Flenley's "Easter Island, Earth Island" and
more recently in Jared Diamond's "Collapse") that Easter Island, or Rapanui,
was once forested but is nearly treeless today owing to human activity. The
population rose over a period of a few hundred years and then collapsed.
Every edible resource was exploited. Is there evidence of extirpation of
molluscan species, such as landsnails, here? When a forest is removed
permanently, one would expect all sorts of disruptions.

My "remotest place" was Patagonia, but I'm not sure it counts, because
collecting wasn't allowed there. Anyway, in April 2004, there were long,
long stretches of lonely cliffside beach alongside a good coastal highway.
Our hosts drove right onto the beach and crunched innumerable shells that we
were not allowed to collect! Even Argentine academics can find it difficult
to get permits to collect fossils in one province to reposit in a museum in
another province, and when the group found some well-preserved fossil crabs,
they noted the locality carefully for a later visit.

The sky was wild! The winds are fierce in Patagonia and the clouds are
whipped into shapes I had never seen before, unsullied by jet contrails. The
air is still clean there; I remember when American skies were not typically
brownish at the horizon, but milky white. It was strange to have childhood
memories return in such a remote place.

Of course, to Patagonians, this land, which is a catchword for isolation, is
not remote at all. But they do feel isolated to some degree; it is hard for
academics to attend international meetings in most other countries, for
instance, and they thirst for information! If you visit an academic in a
remote place, a book makes a very good gift! Come to think of it, books make
good gifts everywhere.

Andrew K. Rindsberg
Geological Survey of Alabama