From:
Rosemary Payne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 08:41:43 -0000
Don's right - it was a slightly self-righteous "farang" (as foreigners are
called in Thailand), not a local.

I'm not questioning the right of countries to set their own rules - and, as
a visitor, it's only sensible to abide by them, even if sometimes slightly
strange - I've also come across "protected marine areas" where collecting
dead shells seems to be forbidden, while taking live fish and lobsters is
allowed.

But I'm a bit concerned that in the western world disapproval and local
prohibition of shell-collecting is on the increase even in situations where
there appears to be no rational basis for a ban; and this is why I think
it's worth investigating the effects of collection so that we can change our
actions voluntarily where there is good reason to change, and argue against
bans if there is evidence that there is no good reason for them.

Bas