From:
Tom Eichhorst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Feb 2006 11:45:02 -0700
Corynne,

Welcome to Conch-L and the world of shells.  Paul Monfils gave you some
superb information about shells on Ebay and the single book most collectors
seem to own (the Compendium).  I would like to add a few comments about a
few other books that you might start with:

Seashells of North America by R. Tucker Abbott, 1968.  This is a Golden
Field Guide book and can be found in both paperback and hardcover editions
in many second hand bookstores (or check on line with Amazon.com).  It
normally sells for only a few dollars and is an excellent first book for a
North American shell collector.  It talks about collecting, how to set up a
collection, identification, conservation, etc.  Really an excellent little
book.  I normally have a couple on hand so I can send a copy to a person new
to the hobby (such as yourself), but I sent out my last extra copy about a
month ago.  Should be no trouble to find.

The next book I would recommend is Kingdom of the Seashell by R. Tucker
Abbott, 1972.  This is a "coffee-table" sized book and is another one you
can pick up at a used book store or at Amazon.com for around $10.  This book
also discusses collecting and such, but more importantly it is full of the
incidentals of the world of shells: their use in art, history of shell use,
an overview of different shelling areas of the world, stories of shells that
are of interest, etc.

There are hundreds of other books and as you get more involved you will find
the ones you want and need.  Finally, there are a number of magazines
dedicated to seashell collecting, including: Of Sea and Shore (published in
the US), American Conchologist (published in the US), and Gloria Maris
(published in Belgium).  I am rather partial to American Conchologist (I'm
the editor), but any of these magazines will further your education in this
exciting world of mollusks.  Each of these magazines will also have any
number of ads from shell dealers throughout the world.  Have fun,

Tom Eichhorst