From:
Charles F Sturm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2006 16:36:26 -0500
Art,

Then how do you explain the Noetia ponderosa that I found at a Boy Scout
camp in western Pennsylvania? If it is dead, it might come from the
location where it is found or it may have been transported there by other
means.Beach replenishment? Someone seeding the beach in a tourist area?
You should see some of the Indo-Pacific shells that people have given to
me from their beachcombing walks in Florida!

I always list items as:
1) Live collected
2) Dead collected, live specimens present
3) Dead collected

This way I have a rough idea about the validity of the locality data.

Regards,
Charlie
Charlie Sturm, Jr
Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
                      Carnegie Museum of Natural History
                     Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Assistant Professor - Family Medicine