From:
Paul Callomon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2006 09:21:22 -0400
Colleagues,

I boobed; Buccinum trescostatum Chiba, 1980 (Bulletin of the Institute of Malacology, Tokyo, 1 (5): 79, pl. 27, figs. 1, 4-7) is an available name and possibly a valid species, but I have found no record so far of any B. tricostatum. The latter might just be an erroneous emendation by a later hand.
Chiba erected numerous homonyms in the Buccinidae that required subsequent nomen novae. He worked with a lot of material but very few books...

PC.

Paul Callomon
Collections Manager
Malacology, Invertebrate Paleontology and General Invertebrates
Department of Malacology
Academy of Natural Sciences
1900 Parkway, Philadelphia PA 19103-1195, USA
Tel 215-405-5096
Fax 215-299-1170
Secretary, American Malacological Society
On the web at www.malacological.org

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/19/06 09:10AM >>>
Harry, Harry et al.:

Buccinum trescostatum and tricostatum, both Chiba (or Tiba if you like), 1980 are available names based on specimens from off northern Japan. Their exclusion from Higo et al., 1999 was an oversight; they should have been at least dealt with as synonyms of Buccinum glaciale, though one or both might also be valid taxa. I photographed as much of Chiba's stuff as I could find for our Type Figures volume (Higo et al., 2001), but the types of these species were not to be found.
Okutani (ed.) 2001 never claimed to be comprehensive, so lots of available names (and valid species) from the Japanese fauna are not included in it.

Regards,

On the web at www.malacological.org

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/18/06 05:34PM >>>
Henk and Harry B.,

I see no mention of either of these taxa in:

Higo, Callomon, and Goto, 1999.  Catalogue and bibliography of the
marine shell-bearing mollusca of Japan Gastropoda - Bivalvia -
Polyplacophora - Scaphopoda. Elle Publications, Osaka. pp. 1-749.

Higo, Callomon, and Goto, 2001.  Catalogue and bibliography of the
marine shell-bearing mollusca of Japan Gastropoda - Bivalvia -
Polyplacophora - Scaphopoda. Type figures Elle Publications, Osaka.
pp. 1-208, incl. numerous color figures.

Okutani, T. (editor), 2000.  Marine Shells in Japan. Tokai Univ.
Press, Tokyo. xlvii + pp. 1-1173 + ii, incl color 542 pls., + several
color vignettes in forepp.

What gives?

Harry

At 03:36 PM 4/18/2006, you wrote:
>Harry,
>
>Both Buccinum trescostatum Tiba, 1980 and  B. tricostatum Tiba, 1980
>do exist off Japan.
>Henk K. Mienis

Harry G. Lee, M. D.
4132 Ortega Forest Dr.