From:
Guido Poppe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 May 2006 20:10:45 +0800
Hello Tim and all,

When I described the form L. leucodon f. escotoi, I overlooked the
angioyna Raybaudi, 1979 because not mentioned by Lorenz... which is
supposed to mention all names of cowries.

I just checked the description in La Conchiglia.

In the mind of Raybaudi the L. leucodon s.s. is from the Maldives. He
figures two shells from there and compares them with two slightly
bigger ones from the Philippines which he calls L. leucodon angioyna.

In fact, there is no difference between the 4 specimen he figures. It
is even doubtful that there was ever a leucodon fished in the
Maldives....

I've little time now, very brief:

L. leucodon leucodon  - the ones we all know from the Philippines.
L. leucodon tenuidon - the ones from Thailand and Indonesia, smaller,
much more spotted and a little rounder
L. leucodon leucodon f. escotoi - Aliguay population in the
Philippines: small, very round and dark.

Best regards, Guido

Mabuhay from Mactan island, the Philippines.

Guido T. Poppe

Conchology, Inc.
Cebu Light Industrial Park,
Basak, Lapu-Lapu City,