From:
Richard Petit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2006 09:54:30 -0400
Andy:

I simply asked how a Cuban would cite de la Torre's name.  I am all too
familiar with the widely varying practices of librarians and editors.  Also,
surprisingly, even here in South Carolina most of us know the meaning of
de/della/etc.

The difference in treatment of names having nobiliary or prepositional
particles depending on country of residence is a matter of continuing
concern in listing names in "2,400 Years of Malacology."

In my opinion it should not matter whether a part of a name is nobiliary or
not. I think that what should matter is how the person handled his own name.
Changing d'Orbigny to Orbigny is akin to changing McGinty to MacGinty.

If von Koenen described a new species and listed it as "Aus bus v. Koenen"
he should be cited as von Koenen.  Thats what cross references are for.  On
the other hand, von Ihering just used Ihering and should be so cited.
Again, a simple cross reference gets you to the "right" place,

I do not have the USGS style manual, but in recent years the USGS editors
have allowed contributors to get away with murder in some References Cited!
The manual that matters is the CBE Style Manual and it changes so fast that
I can't afford to keep up with the new editons!

Regards,

dick p.