From:
David Lum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2006 20:05:26 -1000
John,

     For the cowries I'd recommend just soaking them in plain fresh
water first to see if the deposits would dissolve away.  I do not
recommend bleach for cowries, particularly with older shells which may
have microfractures in the tops layers of nacre where the bleach can
penetrate through and produce splotching.  If the haze is caused by
accumulated grime, wash with a solution of dishwashing soap.
     After the above action, I usually put a coat of mineral oil on the
cowries and place them in a bag overnight.  This helps to restore some
of the color.  The next day, I wipe off the extra oil.  Make sure to
wipe them down enough so that there is no longer a slick feel to them.
     If there are chemical burns on the shell, such as from Byne's
disease or decay, a very fine grit metal polishing paste applied on the
burned spots can help restore the gloss.  Be careful not to apply the
polish to any parts that are in pristine condition because you can end
up damaging those areas.
     Just a few thought for your consideration.  I'd be happy to
entertain questions.

Best regards and aloha,
Dave Lum

Pearl City, Hawaii