From:
"Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 2006 08:28:50 -0400
Dear Martin - and any others interested in searchable taxonomic
databasing and/or identification keys,

Last year (2005) at the COA Convention Gary Rosenberg of the Academy
of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia reported progress on an
illustrated, searchable database equipped with an identification key
able to process minimally constrained (not necessarily binary
decision-tree) input.

 From my viewpoint the system is up-and=running at
<http://pick4.pick.uga.edu/mp/20q?guide=Molluscs>, It is devoted to
Jamaican landsnails, but the identification methodology may be
applicable to virtually any fauna. Eventually we may have this kind
of service available to us for a multitude of regional faunas - or
taxonomic groups across wider geographic areas.

Harry

At 11:44 PM 7/28/2006, you wrote:
>Can anyone point me in the direction of any online databases (with pictures
>preferably) that include good coverage of (non-USA) landsnails? Maybe a
>museum website or similar?
>I am aware of the resources supplied so well by Poppe and Femorale.
>Many thanks,
>Martin Walker, New Zealand.

Harry G. Lee, M. D.
4132 Ortega Forest Dr.