From:
Marcus Coltro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2006 12:20:27 -0300
The number of collectors indeed has decreased significantly in the past years, but at the same time
new collectors from Europe and Asia appeared mostly because of Internet.

Regarding profit, when we started selling shells in 1989 dealers in Florida told us that new dealers
come and go all the time, only will survive who take their business seriously (as in any other line
of business of course).

There are many pseudo dealers selling shells on E-bay or any other auction sites, but most of them
do not intend to settle a real business due to high costs to maintain it running. As a topic here
was discussed recently, dozens of "dealers" from the Philippines try to sell their material on
Internet. A few might send good shells, but the only experience I had was not very satisfactory and
I don't even reply their messages anymore.

Also, when collectors move one step up from gathering shell baskets to collect specimen shells they
usually start buying material from reliable dealers who place labels on shells with more information
than "Tangle nets, Philippines".

Regards

Marcus

Hello All.

    This is just one of those questions I have on the backburner and I
figured I'd ask especially those who actually sell shells.  My understanding
is that, at least in the US (and probably true in Japan and Europe) the
demograpics of those who pursue this hobby is undergoing a serious
gentification, ie there are a lot few younger people entering the hobby.
Clearly over the last several years however the opportunities and the number
of specimens avaliable  seems to have increased significantly, especailly
since the web has opened up so many new ways to purchase shells.

    By my figuring that would mean that there is a decrease in the number of
those buying shells (although they may have more pocket cash) while the
number of specimens offered continues to increase.  It would seem to me that
with those types of figures that the business of selling shells would
rapidly be becoming less profitable.

    Am I missing something here?  I realize North America, Europe and Japan
to not represent the whole hobby, but I'd wadger they represent most of it.

Thanks!

Doug