From:
Marcus Coltro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Oct 2006 12:53:01 -0200
Very nice work and photos! Fresh water bivalves from this area are very nice, and some are difficult
to identify. We use these publications

Johnson, R.I. & Baker, H.B., 1973, The Types of Unionacea in the Academy of Natural Sciences of
Philadelphia
Howells, R.G.; Neck, R.W. & Murray, H.D., 1996, Freshwater Mussels of Texas
Parmalee, P.W. & Bogan, A.E., 1998, The Freshwater Mussels of Tennessee

And some net sources as
http://128.146.250.235/bivalves/  Dr. George Watters' page
http://members.aol.com/mkohl1/FWshells.html Martin Kohl's page
http://www.inhs.uiuc.edu/~ksc/MusselGenera.html Kevin Cumming's page also
http://clade.acnatsci.org/mussel/

The only thing that puzzles me is the usage of common names - every single shell has it? I agree
that beginners have hard time learning Latin names, but when it comes to a point where such work is
done I see no reason to use them, or at least not highlighted before the scientific names.

It raises a question: who gives these names to every single shell, even to species that only one
specimen is known. Is there a place where these names are registered? Anyone knows that?

Marcus