From:
Marcus Coltro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2006 13:37:15 -0300
This seems very nice - but I guess this equipment is quite expensive. Could you please give more
technical information? Like official name, brand, power of vacuum applied, size, etc.

Thanks

Marcus

I do know a way of getting that last bit of tissue out of a Terebra,
Turritella, etc., or out of a microshell. Unfortunately it is not available
to the average collector, but I'll describe it anyway.  The reason it is so
difficult to clean inside these narrow spaces is that the air in the space
won't come out, and the air bubble acts as a physical barrier to the entry
of any liquid cleaning solution.  It's like an air embolism that can be
suffered by a diver, which blocks a blood vessel.  I work in a research lab
with all kinds of laboratory equipment available to me, and what I use to
clean narrow shells is a vacuum oven.  It's basically a chamber with a heavy
glass door so you can see what is going on inside, connected to a powerful

Paul M.