From:
Richard Petit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2006 17:52:28 -0500
Ms. Clark's statement that "Shells from Galapagos that are being sold were
almost certainly collected illegally" is simply not true.  Although I have
heard that some collectors have brought specimens out illegally in recent
years (a practice I certainly condemn) there are many specimens collected
years ago that are still circulating.  Just last month I purchased the
Cancellariidae collection of a deceased COA member and it contained several
endemic Galapagos species, all collected by Jacqueline DeRoy in the 1970s
and 1980s.  Last year there was a very small collection advertised on eBay
that was stated to contain a Cancellaria with an improbable name.  From the
small photo I guessed (correctly) that it was a specimen of the endemic
Cancellaria darwini.  When received it still had with it one of J. DeRoy's
distinctive labels written in her hand on her usual orange paper.

These specimens in older collections will continue to change hands and the
purchasers (and sellers) should not be condemned for having them.  Possibly
dealers should state that an endemic Galapagos species that is offered is
from an old collection, possibly even giving the name of the collection (and
if the collector handled his/her shells properly the original label will
still be present) with the date obtained if not the date collected.  This
record of prior ownership would, in such cases, prove that the specimen(s)
were not taken illegally.  In any event, such a trail of ownership is always
interesting and often helpful.  Old labels, like bookplates in books, should
never be destroyed.  They add to, not detract from, value.

In any event, it is incorrect to accuse anyone having recently purchased a
Galapagos specimen to have committed an illegal act.

dick petit