From:
Marcus Coltro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2006 12:28:13 -0200
We also had several problems with people using our images without our consent, including considered
to use international lawyers to make sure they removed them from commercial sites (gladly until now
we were able to "convince them" without using lawyers). We will start using Digimarc to track images
on Internet as well (every image receives a undetectable code traceable by their system) . The
rights of images are very well protected by laws all over the world and even when someone uses an
image for non-commercial websites they are suitable if no written permits were given.

Although it seems very easy to produce digital pictures nowadays it demands a lot of work and
expenses tied to them. It is not correct to use any images stolen on the net even if they look to be
"for free". Besides the cost of equipment, there are website costs and professional handling of
images. It is the same case as downloading music or pirate software.

Several collectors requested images from us for their own private use, and we also do not deny it.
At the same time we also sell these images to other companies which intend to use them on books or
websites.

This is a serious matter and cannot be treated as if it is an insignificant subject, so be aware
before using images without letting the owner know before. Shells are in most cases unique and can
be identified even when the image was cropped to remove logos or watermarks.

Marcus