From:
Richard Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2006 01:06:38 -0500
I've had some success soaking fresh shellfish in Epsom Salts (magnesium
sulphate)solution. I'm not sure of the science of it, but I think the
animal flesh absorbs the salt solution, and osmotic pressure causes it to
swell. Out it comes - enough to grab with tweezers or forceps to tease out
the rest. It should come out quite cleanly. Presumably you could also do
this after freezing the shell or keeping it in alcohol.

Insects (ants especially) are also good cleaning assistants. Bury the
thing, not too deep, in a piece of nylon netting (I use nylon netting bags
available in local shops) for a little longer than you think necessary -
be patient. I recently cleaned a 7'6" python skeleton using this method.