From:
Fabio Moretzsohn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2006 15:37:55 -0500
I am not sure if I remember it correctly, but I think (a few years ago) a
group of researchers at the University of Hawaii studying UV light and color
patterns in marine fishes and other organisms suggested that at least some
fishes might be able to see (or somehow sense differences) in the UV
spectrum. Some coral reef fishes have strikingly different color patterns
under visible and UV light, which might help them escape predation (from
predators that can see in the UV). Can anyone corroborate or contradict it?

Fabio Moretzsohn

On Fri, 1 Dec 2006 12:44:56 -0500, Monfils, Paul <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>It is highly unlikely that the UV effects seen in shells are of any benefit
to the animal, since UV penetrates into sea water only a few inches, beyond
which there cannot be any UV effect.  It's rather like the question of what
benefit a colorful pattern could be in deep sea species that live where
there is no light. No light = no color.

appearance of shells in the UV range is a "by-product" of shell structure,
perhaps indicative of local environmental/dietary factors, and is unrelated
to purposes of escaping or attracting attention, yes?
>> Expanding this thread somewhat, does any one have either information on
the ability of other sea life to perceive UV images, or images in the UV of
sea life (live corals, anemones, algae, etc.) in situ?