From:
Lyle Therriault <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2006 21:46:56 -0500
Bill,

some good points.  Perhaps i was a bit vague in my DNA  rambling.....I
should have worded that ( loosely )  as  perhaps DNA studies need to be
done more to establish the determination of NEW species......( within a
complex )

I must be relatively lean on specimens of erythraeensis.....it seems all
the specimens I have in my collections and the ones I have seen apart from
my own all look the same, somewhat spotted.   I did not realize there was
this much variation in patterning within this species.

So what species did in fact  Petuch and Anders "rediscover" in the
Grenadines,  beddomei or erythraeensis?  I've long heard from other cone
collectors that a true beddomei has the black and white color pattern.

Regards, Lyle

Islands
> population with a black & white color pattern as Conus couderti without
> providing a reasoning for doing so.  This is important because there is no
> existing type specimen of C. couderti - only the original illustration.
The

http://www.malacolog.org/search.php?nameid=6342
> , Conus ziczac is listed as occuring in Florida and the Bahamas citing the
> 1986 information above.  In my opinion, this does not authoritativly
answer
> the original question about the correct name for the shells from the
> Grenadines (i.e. the "northern" Caribbean shells - in relation to Brazil).
>
> My view:
>
> Conus couderti Bernardi, 1860 - In my opinion, this is a synonym of Conus
> erythraeensis Reeve, 1843.  I have a copy of the original description and
> plate with the figure and have seen wide variation in the pattern of C.
> erythraeensis including shells that match the figure of C. couderti.
>
> Conus beddomei Sowerby III, 1870 - In my opinion, this is a subspecies of
C.