From:
worldwide <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2006 01:30:58 -0500
We should also not forget a very good friend of actor Mart Hulswit,
and a central figure in New York City shell collecting for many
years, Veronica Parker Johns (1908-1988). She was a famous mystery
writer and activist in early Mystery Writers of America.  Her writing
credits include contributions to 'Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine'
and 'The Saint Detective Magazine''.  Her mystery novels and short
stories include 'Shady Doings' (1941), 'The Singing Widow' (1941), and
'Hush, Gabriel!' (1941 - which she collaborated on with her husband
literary magazine editor and poet Richard Johns), and 'The Cannibal
Oxen' (1957) among others. Her series about African American
detective Webster Flagg included 'Murder by the Day' (1953), 'Webster
and the Wienerwalz' (1957) and 'Servent Problems' (1958).  Veronica's
short story 'The Gentleman Caller' was produced as an episode for the
television series 'The Alfred Hitchcock Hour' in 1964 (the Gerald
Musgrove character was played by Roddy McDowall).

As conchologists we best know Veronica for her nonfiction
contribution 'She Sells Sea Shells' (1968) an autobiography about her
experiences as proprietor of Sea Shells Unlimited in Manhattan
(1964-1988) and as a prominent member of the New York Shell Club.

Rich
www.worldwideconchology.com
Columbia, MD, USA