From:
Guido Poppe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 2006 12:27:20 +0800
Hello everybody,

this tiger cowry is not fake and not juvenile. Tigers with this kind
of lip are rare compared to the huge number of specimen collected
each year, but there are quite many of them. I remember having a box
somewhere collected between 1900 and 1950 - all have freak outer
lips. I estimate that there is only one such shell among many
thousands of tigers. But of course, when one has 100000 tigers, then
he can expect 50 nice freaks !

Fakes in tigers exist - recently a number turned up with faked
colors. There is also a type of fake in which the teeth are extending
on all of the base - made in tigers, golden cowry and in C. mauritiana.

Mabuhay from Mactan island, the Philippines.

Guido T. Poppe
Vice President Conchology, Inc.
Scientific Associate, Malacology Section, Royal Belgian Insitute of
Natural Sciences, Brussels.
Scientific Collaborator to the National Museum of Natural Sciences,
Paris.

Conchology, Inc.
Cebu Light Industrial Park,
Basak, Lapu-Lapu City,