From:
Stephanie Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 13:15:39 -0600
Hi Carole

I hope you have been enjoying the cold winter temperatures in sunny
Florida, it must be so tough!

There are several ways you could go in organising your references,
including grouping by family, subject, region etc. I personally use a
bibliography program called Papyrus, which runs great on windows 2000
and older, but only runs as a small square under XP and other than
not being able to cut and paste anymore still works nicely one day I
will have to really update. Another program is endnote, which is not
too expensive and will work nicely on your nice laptop.

I type each reference into this program, it generates a number that I
write on the reference, (eg #8563 happens to be my latest published
paper), I then either file the reference under the author's name in
alphabetical order in a filing cabinet or place it on the bookshelf.
When there are multiple authors I try to pick an author that I am
likely to have other papers of that author, for example Pilsbry, H.A.
has several folders as I have over 215 references entered so far and
a lot to go. The books on the shelf tend to be arranged according to
the ones I use the most being within easy arms reach of my desk, the
others just tend to be arranged by size, topic etc.

One thing I miss about my library is that the first 6900 of those
references are still in Australia.

I hope the above gives you some ideas.

Stephanie