From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2007 10:43:40 +1200
>Dear Everybody & agreeded to Pete krull's remark as to New Forms,
>sub, species popping up, especially here in the Philippines.
>
>Conus marmoureus, bandanus,equistris, vidua deburghiae , plus have a
>similar pattern but given new species of form names.  I am surprised
>that Conus generalis has not caught on yet.
>
>Cyprea & Philippino Pectines also have been given form names just
>this year, only because of a mere difference in pattern and colour.
>Even a Cyprea guttata has at a few form names.   Cypraea (
>Erosaria ) guttata guttata Gremlin 1791 &    Cyprea ( Erosaria )
>guttatta surinensis Raybaudi 1978

Form names are not valid. Unfortunately subspecies are valid at
present (hopefully the ICZN will eventually get around to changing
this), but fortunately are falling into disfavor with taxonomists.

If there are CONSISTENT differences between "subspecies" across the
full geographic range, then it is best to elevate these taxa to
specific rank. If not (ie they intergrade), then they are best
regarded as synonyms.

Hybrids... many Lambis "hybrids" are on the market today. Some of
these may just be abnormal specimens of one or another species.
Others may truly be hybrids. It is even possible for hybrids to breed
true and so establish a new species (no evolution in these cases),
though for any individual specimen it will be impossible to tell
whether the parents were the of the new species or are hybrids of the
two species from which the new one was generated.

"Cryptic" species... here's a thorny problem... some will be valid,
others not. And if a specimen MUST undergo molecular analysis to be
identified to specific level, what real use is there in separating
two species on such grounds?
--
Regards
Andrew