From:
Marcus Coltro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2007 09:06:35 -0300
Oi Harry

Yes, I wish we had labels in every single shells we receive when we buy huge lots of shells.... I do
not think these came from North Brazil, the way it was stored (inside a zip lock bag) looks like
someone gave to us, possibly at a COA convention (damned ADD).

So for locality I have:

Second drawer of my messy cabinet (where I store stuff like these), under a pile of boxes, 1.5
meters from floor level, coll. by M Coltro, July 2007....

I made more pictures with some details, maybe you can see something you didn't notice before
http://www.wonderphotos.com/shellphotos/donax.jpg

I will verify your suggestion anyway, as well Leslie's. Thanks!

Marcus

PS. I will check if I have this volume of Nautilus

Assunto: Re: Donax sp.

Dear Marcus,

Naughty, naughty! Of all people I would have expected you to keep track of your labels.

These appear to be Donax vellicatus (Reeve, 1855), which ranges from Belize to northern Brasil. It
"travels under the radar" as the sympatric and roughly syntopic D. denticulatus Linnaeus, 1758 and
D. striatus Linnaeus, 1767 seem to get found in far greater numbers and at more stations. Besides
Reeve, it is illustrated in Morrison (1971: pl. 1, fig V, pl. 2, fig V) and Petuch (1998: 31, fig
43, as D. mediamericanus Pilsbry 1919 [sic] [1920], which is a synonym of D. striatus according to
Morrison).

Although Donax Linnaeus, 1758 was treated by its author and many subsequent workers (e.g. Morrison)
as a feminine noun (see Dodge, 1952; p. 78), it is a  Greek masculine, and, as mandated in Article
30.1.2 (and not meeting any of the exceptions in 30.1.4) of the International Code of  Zoological
Nomenclature (ICZN, 1999), should always be treated as such nomenclatorially. I notice that Femorale
does this correctly on your fine website. If you agree with my identification, can you:

(1) Give us the locality where you think these were found?
(2) Post image(s) on your website as there is no Internet image of this species?
(3) Sell me one?

Harry

Morrison, J. P. E., 1971.  Western Atlantic Donax. Proc. Biol. Soc. Wash. 83(48): 545-568.

Petuch, E. J., 1998. The molluscan fauna of the Wawa River Region, Miskito Coast, Nicaragua:
ecology, biogeographic implications, and descriptions of new taxa. The Nautilus 111(1): 22-44. Jan.
29.

PS To Marcus only: I can provide a scan of one of these figures if you wish. HGL

Checked by AVG Free Edition.