Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2007 09:02:19 -0500
Folks,

Speaking from a USA point of view, I have purchased specimen shells from
American and foreign dealers, mostly American for two reasons. The first
is that they had what I was looking for. The second, there was no possible
problems to be dealt with regarding importation. Technically (legally) we
should be filing Form 3-177 for all specimens brought into this country.

I agree that trust is important. I have been collecting for 17 years,
books more so that shells, but I make a few purchases every year. Whenever
I purchase from a dealer for the first time, my purchase is a modest one.
I want to see how he/she grades the material, the quality of the data, and
how it is packed for shipment. Over time, and as my trust and confidence
builds in a specific dealer, I am willing to place larger or more
expensive orders. Up to this point, I have had only one poor experience.
The specimens were sent in a flimsy box, several were crushed. I did not
complain to the dealer, I just never did further business with him. This
was an American dealer. I believe he should have known how to pack the
shipment. If he did not care to do it the right way, I did not care to do
further business with him. I guess I would say, how you treat the largest
of your sales, so to will I expect you to treat the least of your sales.

With several dealers, I have continued to correspond over the years. Some
have contacted me with a specific shell they thought that I might be
interested in. Sometimes I came across great deals.

This year I placed my first E-bay purchases. Four to be exact, none were
for more than $15 (specimen, postage, and handling). Using my criteria
above, I would deal with the folks again.

Regards,
Charlie
Charlie Sturm
Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Assistant Professor - Family Medicine
Fellow-American Academy of Family Practice
Fellow-Academy of Wilderness Medicine