From:
Jim Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Dec 2007 14:46:53 -0500
Why do you think the concept of the scapegoat was invented? If I
drain a bog
that is loaded with carnivorous plants and orchids with the intention
of putting
a strip mall in its place, it's far easier to blame the lack of these
rare plants on
"poachers." They come at night and dig up all the plants until
nothing is left.
Gee, well since they took them all, I guess it's okay to put up that
strip mall.
After all, it's not like I'm destroying habitat -- those poachers did
the evil deed!
Didn't see them? You're lucky! They're dangerous....

By the way, does anyone know who came up with the concept of the
strip mall?
It seems so totally an American obsession. As I have driven all over
the Gulf Coast
during the past three decades, I've seen one strip mall go up, then 5
to 10 years
later, it's empty and in a state of decay. Rather than rehabilitate
it, another
developer clears the piece of land on the other side of the highway
and puts up
another brand new one. I've seen at least four or five generations of
strip malls
go up, then falter, then be abandoned. The problem is that you can
never put the
first site back to its original condition -- you can't peel up the
asphalt and concrete
and find that all the original plants and animals are still underneath.

How many of you recall the vast tidal flats that were revealed during
a minus tide
on Sanibel? Or Marco Island? I remember walking for what seemed like
many miles
under the blistering sun, seeing all the trails left in the sand by
shark's eyes, whelks,
baby's ears, olives and so forth. Of the many hundreds of shells we
saw, we took
maybe a dozen or so; just the best specimens. Where are those flats
now? They
didn't disappear because of shelling, that's for sure!

Best regards,
Jim