From:
Michael Blied <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2008 15:04:50 -0500
Carrie, I have done some shore collecting and snorkel collecting on middle
Caicos and Grand Turk.  It was the middle of summer so the shelling wasn't
that good on either, but I suspect in the winter it would be more bountiful.
I was able to find a few shells.  I am primarilly a dead shell hunter and
most of these were not fresh dead, and not in great condition.  The volume
was minimal.  One day we hired a boat with a guide who took us to many of
the remote areas and we were able to find quite a few pink conchs and other
small varieties.  I can't remember all the varieteies right this moment, and
I'm sure that I wasn't able to identify alot of them anyway.  I do remember
the guys first name is Cardinal, and I think anyone on the island would know
him, as there are only about 250 people living there.  If you are interested
in seeing some of the species, contact me directly.  I would be interested
to hear how much better the shelling is there in the winter.

Mike