From:
Paul Drez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 09:34:15 -0700
>Yes, my original also disintegrated soon after photocopying it.   I have
>only the photocopy in my library.   It would be extremely useful to have an
>illustrated checklist of the Burch Living Olividae Catalog.   It would be a
>worthy publication.  Have you ever considered embarking on such a project
>associated with your database project?  Your knowledge about the Olividae
>would lend itself to such a project.

See another reply email about getting copies of Burch's catalog to people.
As far as producing an "illustrated list", this would be a worthy but
lifetime project.  I probably do not have the time or energy to do it.  Two
battles with heart decrease and four with cancer since 1993 have sapped a
lot of energy out of me, and still having to work for a living like
everyone else, doesn't leave much time.  But people say I look good!!  Just
got a short little paper out on a fossil Oliva.  Now, my next obligation is
to Peter Jung on the Dominican Republic Miocene Olividae, then a few little
side projects along the way, and maybe one day update Olsson's work on
Olivellas.  That is as far as I can dream right now and maybe have energy
to complete the endeavors.  If I do survive long enough a
bibliography/catalog of Olividae is a possibility, similar to the one the
Dick Petit did on the Cancellarias about 6 years ago.  He has warned me
that it is a very long and hard job TO DO IT RIGHT, and I believe him!

>One other catalog-type publication dealing with Olividae that I forgot to
>mention is:
>
>"La Classification Des Olividae" par Ralph Duchamps;
>Informations De La Soc. Belge De Malac. Ser. 9, No 4, Sept 1981
>pp. 34, mimeographed, outlined by genus with a list of species, and in many
>cases, illustrating a representative species of the genus with a line
>drawing.  This is also an interesting publication worth tracking down.
>
>Are you familiar with it?

Yes, I do have a copy of it.  After seeing it referenced all over the
place, I guess I was expecting something a little be more comprehensive and
polished (maybe like Kilburn's "Revision of the Genus Ancilla Lamarck,
1799" that was published in 1981)!  I think my copy is a xerox, but I have
recently ordered an "original" via a second-hand book dealer, but I will be
surprised if it will look much better.

>Have you noticed that the photographs pasted into your copy of "Beitrage
>zur Kenntnis der Olividae" have shifted in color?  It seems that the dyes
>in the photographs have faded to a reddish cast.  I do not remember them
>ever looking that way.  But it has been at least a year since I've
>referenced the volume.

Yes, over the years (even early on) the photographs have always had a
"warm" look to them.  I just assumed that it was probably due to the type
of film and lighting used that caused the effect.  I haven't really noticed
much change in the last few years, but who knows with everything that has
happened in my life!

Take care,

Paul